Wednesday 30 March 2016

Rapporto di Caffè - Day 9

A nice quiet day today, so no need to wake up particularly early. We had the window open slightly last night to let the cool breeze in, so I was actually woken by church bells in the distance at 7am. A very pleasant way to start the day as opposed to an alarm blaring or traffic noise.

Got up and headed out for my daily coffee and went straight to my new local. As the saying goes, when in Rome...., however I'm not in Rome anymore, but I will try and do as the local Tuscan's do and have a coffee and pastry at the bar. 

The irony of the tourist looking for a bar that isn't populated by tourists hasn't escaped me and I have a bit of a chuckle that I think I may have achieved the impossible as everyone else who comes in over the next 15 minutes whilst I'm there is speaking fluent Italian with the baristas and even though apart from what they are ordering, I don't understand a word of what they are saying, its obvious that they frequent the establishment on a regular basis. It's possible that I'm just up earlier than most tourists being there at 8am. We are just a few metres from one of the leather markets, so in the distance you can hear all the vendors opening up for the day. The sounds of a new city can be just as exciting as the new sights.

I have my coffee and pastry at the bar, and although its identical to the coffee in the little paper cup, having it served in a proper coffee cup inside a coffee bar somehow makes a massive difference and its just fantastic. Once I've finished, I order some takeaway as well to have back in the apartment. I'm still astounded at the price, 3 coffees, 1 hot chocolate and a croissant was euro 7.50.   Try and find all that in Sydney for $12 !

Here is my coffee and croissant at the bar just waiting for me to devour them.



The machine where the Barista wields her caffeine magic 


Obligatory coffee bar selfie !


On my way back I again marvel the perfectness of my 17th century coffee nook.


This is the view I wake up to of a morning at the moment, very very low sloping ceiling.



This will give you an idea of how low it is, and yes I have already donked my head on it. Ouch.



Looking down our narrow street from the dining room window.